[Regia-NA] Re: list-Regia-NA Digest, Vol 34, Issue 3

Tracie Brown trbrown at uga.edu
Thu Oct 19 14:59:21 EDT 2006

> ...while we know that gesso and tempura were in use in the >10th-11th centuries.

Tempura:
http://www.japan-guide.com/r/e106.html

Tempera:
http://www.handyart.com/images/tempera.gif
and how to make it:
http://www.eggtempera.com/paint.html

I don't have my Theophilus handy, but I seem to remember that he mentions linseed and other oil paints and perhaps gives recipes.  Milk paint, while apparently not documentable to the Regia period, is within the technology (milk, lime, pigment, maybe some chalk). It has a couple of advantages:  (1) commercial milk paint is often made using natural pigments, and (2) it's &#^$*& impossible to remove (it's waterproof and pretty much paint remover proof), making it a good choice for hard-wearing items like shields.

-- Tracie