[Regia-NA] broad-brimmed hats?

Nicholson, Andrew andrew.nicholson at dumgal.gov.uk
Fri May 19 08:01:16 EDT 2006

> Anyway, I have burnt arms and it's still just May. The Viking
> period was in
> the midst of the mini warm period and I assume that the
> summers were pretty
> hot - maybe the squint was a popular style at the time.

You're burnt because you live in the south-east of England, where they've
got water shortages and drought warnings :-). ...and you've got peelly-wally
skin!

Up here in Scotland - much closer to Norse latitudes - we're still getting
an inch or two of rain a day and our reservoirs are nearly full...hmmm,
maybe we could sell you some for a wee consideration? Maybe that's why loads
of our 8th-10th century carvings show people in hoods and hooded cloaks
[though everyone knows that Scots only put on a t-shirt when it gets below
-30 :)  ]

Guthrum

--
Any email message sent or received by the
Council may require to be disclosed by the