[Regia-NA] Re: Regia Anglorum Group Name Poll - Status, Proposal and Request

Jack Garrett garrett at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 15 01:15:07 EST 2006

The poll to suggest a name closes on the 20th.  Since the polling feature doesn't allow adding new suggestions easily, the list below shows all the suggestions I've seen for a group name.  Not all were serious (I think!), but the intention is to be complete.

  Here's the proposal:
  Bjornstad has gotten the most votes of the names the poll displays. I propose making the formal name "Bjornstad Vikingr", meaning roughly "Bear State Vikings".  That would be both Old Norse (except possibly for ON grammatic structure) and a start at being self-identifying for the historically challenged.  That's my choice.  Not great for Arizona and Nevada, but a more generic name doesn't seem to serve anyone well (see Vestrstad, below).

  Here's the request:
  Pick one of the names below - or add another - and send a reply e-mail to us all with your choice.  That way we can all get an idea of the enthusiasm for the names chosen.  We've got enough people for a good start at a new land grant.  Let's pick a  name.

  Thanks,

  Jack

  Baldurstrand             Baldur's shore/bright shore
Biarney                  Bear Island
Bjornstad                Bear State
Bjornstad 1000AD         Bear State
Bjornstad Vikingr        Bear State Vikings
Bók Brenna               Book-burning
Brenna-fold              Burning land
Furdustrandir            Wonder-strands
Gullifell/Gullifjall     Golden Hill/Mountain
Kialarnes                Keelness
?                        Land of fruits and nuts
Millennium One           1000 A.D.
  Straumey                 Stream Isle
Straumfiord              Streamfirth
Vænn-fold                Beautiful land
  Vestrstad                Westward State(s)
Vikings of Kyrbyr        Cattle village