[Regia-NA] Credit Card use in the UK

Peter James Peter at citizen.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 09:15:00 EST 2006

Hi

Last week I realised that some of you visitors to the UK this year might
have a problem with your credit cards. In a rather strange coincidence
the self same discussion has been taking place on the Regia members-only
list over the weekend, so I made a phone call this morning to my bank
check the actual facts, and I thought it would be prudent to post this
information here as well.

In order to prevent Credit Card fraud all UK CC now use a 'Chip and Pin'
system. On all cards there is a gold printed circuit board which is
machine read and has to be verified by the card holder entering the pin
# in front of the retailer.

>From next week all cards used in the UK are supposed to be equipped this
way, and retailers have started advising that they will not accept the
normal swiped card and signature as a method of payment.

The problem is that most US and Canadian cards do not have this system,
they still use the magnetic stripe on the back.

Crazy as it appears, I have been advised by my bank that whether
retailers will continue to accept a swiped card with a signature after
next week is a matter for their discretion, and that no special
arrangements have been formally made for visitors from countries where
this system is not in use.

FWIW, my advice is to:

1) Carry your passport as a form of ID
2) Ask the retailer before you start buying

I suspect that most of the tourist places will be happy to take a
signature if you have some other solid ID as well, but it's best to be
certain.

Pete - Guthroth Of Colanhomm

Have Sword, Will Travel.