[Regia-NA] buckets

Jack Garrett garrett at pacbell.net
Tue Oct 25 19:35:34 EDT 2005

Jeff,

Here's a photo of three buckets found at the Oseberg site.  The picture was taken in the Viking Ship museum in Oslo.

http://www.vikingsofkyrbyr.gbtllc.com/MuseumVikingShipOslo2.htm

Jack/Ottar

Jeff mack <mack_metalwork at yahoo.com> wrote:
Since pouches are not as well thought of as I had hoped, and needing something to lug stuff around in, buckets are looking like an attractive option.  Was reading through "Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York" and noted that they didn't find any Viking era buckets with metal hoops.  Drat!

So, a couple questions for you crafty folks:

1. If I want to make wood hoops, do I just soak the heck out of thin wood (I was going to use pine for the proto bucket).  Then, bend the wet wood 'round the bucket and nail or peg it in place?

2. Anyone know of finds with metal bucket hoops?

Thanks!
Ragnar

The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Philpots

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There is no use being a damn fool about it.
W.C. Fields

REALITY, n.
The dream of a mad philosopher. That which would remain in the cupel if one should assay a phantom. The nucleus of a vacuum.
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914), The Devil's Dictionary

Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click. _______________________________________________
list-Regia-NA site list
list-Regia-NA at lig.net