[Regia-NA] Dyeing Leather

Ben Pyles ishieben at yahoo.com
Sun May 22 23:32:24 EDT 2005

rmhowe <mmagnusm at bellsouth.net> wrote:
Ben Pyles wrote:

> > rmhowe wrote: During Regia's period most
> > decoration was achieved by using an embossing point dragged across
> > the leather to produce lines and designs. Tooling with stamps,
> > piercings and carving generally came in later except for some
> > stamping on bookbindings in Romanesque Era times.
>

> I think in the York A.S. leather book, the indication that the lines
> for center seam embroidery were first cut through the epidermis, so
> would be a type of carving... yes?

Are we discussing Viking Age style shoes?

Late Viking Age I believe... the style in so on the types/ timeline section
York covers quite a period right?-

Yeah, I haven't read up on the later entries as carefully...

Honestly, while I have it. I have not taken time to read the whole
book from York. Those of us on the leather list awaited it's publication
for about five years, and at the time we were under the impression
that Ian Carlisle, who was on the leather list was to be the principal
author. I was rather surprised that Esther Cameron came out ahead.
Carlisle came in third. They monitor the leather list but don't
post much. They had something like 4,000 pieces to work from.

I am no expert turnshoe maker. I am aware of many of the kinds of
shoe construction. Marc Carlsson's Footwear of the Middle Ages
website discusses most techniques. Be aware that his patterns
are redrawn from published books by him. They may not fit you
accurately. So do it in cloth first. You can get to it from
the main http://www.sca.org/ site by going through the Arts
and Sciences pages and looking under leather. It's been a while
since I've looked at it myself.

Generally if a cut has been made in a shoe
and stitched into - the cut is there to close up over or at least
let the stitches sink into it below the surface to protect them.
This is commonly done on modern randed soles and for the last
few centuries. I'm a bit confused by what you are calling the
center seam, having not seen exactly what you have. Got a page
number?

 The one I am thinking of is on 3342- thought to ease the needle passing...

http://mail.yahoo.com