[Regia-NA] group liability insurance

rmhowe mmagnusm at bellsouth.net
Sat May 14 14:17:13 EDT 2005

CR Mayhew Comcast Account wrote:

> FWIW, we in the SCA in Michigan are having to show our paperwork for the
> first time before doing a demo because of that same injury.  Since we
> have it, it's no big deal.  But I think it opened a lot of eyes to the
> possibility of spectator injury for those watching combat sports.
> (Everyone who goes to a hockey game knows that pucks sometimes fly into
> the audience...but no one expects arrows to go awry...)
>
> --charlotte mayhew

The last time we went to Pennsic XXX I think they were using about
thirty siege machines to shoot fairly safe bolts mainly. My wife
was clearly in the spectator area on the far left front. I was
taking pictures from the center front. I saw the shots being
made diagonally across the field at the end of the so-called
hay bail tunnel to the fortifications. This is near where the
wife was standing, and my little dummy told me five of the
bolts landed about five feet from her. Sure, they were limited
to one pound, but they were also [in that case] flying about
three hundred feet with no thought to the spectator line at all.
I believe this is farther than the things are supposed to be able
to fire. We're talking a type of Roman Scorpion here.

Magnus