[Regia-NA] Re: Pennsic LHE

UrthMomma at aol.com UrthMomma at aol.com
Thu Mar 31 08:54:35 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/30/2005 10:15:36 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
list-regia-na-request at lig.net writes:

> >Speaking of Pennsic... Is there any plans in the works to do
> a Regia camp/ LH display there in the near future?
>
>   At the Danelaw Thing in February we talked about doing a
> Regia LHE "demo" during Pennsic -- a day (or two) of an LHE
> on a section of Talymar's encampment, probably during week 2.
> Interested?
>  snip
>
>   "Embedding", for our purposes, really means, "on the edge
> of", so that we can have a separate entrance to keep visitors
> from tromping through our host camp. It need not be very big,
> either, since some members will be living in other camps.
>   Next year will be my 35th Pennsic (yes, I've been the them
> all). I took a Viking tent to Pennsic I, slept on and under
> furs and cooked over a fire in the rain (tricky, but
> possible). I'm ready to prove I can still do it, even at my
> advanced age. Let's start planning now. So ... who's got a
> pole lathe? Anyone for pit firing some pottery??
>
> -- Tracie/Signy

In years past Chas (Charles Oakley) has sometime brought his pole lathe while
camping with Talymar's group, he's more of a 14th C type - don't know what
change there was in a pole lathe in the interim. Also, you might want to contact
the campmistress,  Elena de Vexin (Joann Tibbets) <jesstibb at verizon.net>
regarding space and layout. "The Enchanted Ground"  (Cariadoc, Thora Sharptooth,
et al)  is a short distance down the westside of camp road - talk to
Thora/Carol also, as they already have a lot of good LH in their camp.

Yes, "Talyland" has a lot of open space, but it's uncampable as it turns into
a watercourse in heavy rain. Great area for firepit, common gathering area.
As for a pottery firing pit, buy an extra load of firewood and find people who
are willing to come  babysit the pit fire when others have to go out of camp
or watch the fire overnight . Security staff types live in camp : we play
strictly by the Pennsic fire rules.  A beehive oven would be interesting to play
with (camp cook speaking here) but need to get permission from Dave Cooper, get
a load of dirt brought in and building it and knocking it down - again ask
Thora for details.

Some portion of my family will be camping in a side opening geteld(s), but we
lack the furnishing niceites of period beds and large chests.  Benches and
chests for circa 1000 CE - um, we'll see.

As I wasn't at Danelaw, but the standard household answer for camping with
Talymar's group  is ask Talymar and put the campname on your Pennsic
registration.

Anyone coming out for both weeks of Pennsic ?

Sara Clark/Olwen
one of the camp cooks at "Talyland"