[Regia-NA] Gotland Sandstone Axe Whetstones

Ben Pyles ishieben at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 00:08:36 EDT 2005

Thanks for the insight- I was going to guess 400 grit would be about right
At least for people in a backwater like Rhuddlan
:-)

rmhowe <mmagnusm at bellsouth.net> wrote:
Looking at a very large dagger I first made twenty-three years
ago from a 1903 Enfield bayonet that was rather deeply pitted in
places I have used only hand work on and recently got to the
bottom of the last pits with axe stones I can say I can sort
of see my reflection in the surface, which appears to have
about a 4-600 grit finish along the length of the blade.
This one just happens to be beside me. And while it lacks a
high polish probably looks pretty damned good for period
blade finishes.

http://mail.yahoo.com