[Regia-NA] Methers, Cauldrons, and Skillets

CR Mayhew Comcast Account crmayhew at comcast.net
Sat Jun 11 19:47:11 EDT 2005

"Domestic Wooden Artefacts in Britain and Ireland from Neolithic to Viking
Times" by Caroline Earwood (University of Exeter Press, 1993, ISBN
0-85989-389-8) has the following to say about methers:

"Whereas the stave-built vessel is one of the most common wooden artefacts
from sites of the early historic period in Ireland, very few are known from
the bog finds which make up the bulk of the evidence for the medieval and
post-medieval periods.  Stave-built vessels were made and used in medieval
Dublin and other urban settlements but evidence from the rural areas shows
that the majority of wooden vessels found here were produced by carving.
Even in urban area two-piece carved buckets, such as a thirteenth-century
pair from Armagh, were sometimes used instead of stave-built vessels.
Observations on rural life in Ireland dating from the seventeenth and
eighteenth centuries describe vessels of this archaic type which had become
virtually obsolete in the rest of Europe.  Perhaps one of the better-known
types of vessel is the mether described by John Dunton in the late
seventeenth century as 'a square wooden vessel called a meddar all of one
piece cutt out of a tree' (MacLysaght 1969, 330)."  (Earwood, p. 237)

The source she refers to is Irish Life in the Seventeenth Century, by E.
MacLysaght, Irish University PRess, Dublin, 1969.

Not a lot, but a start.

--charlotte mayhew