[Regia-NA] Heavy undertunics under mail shirt ( forward)

rmhowe mmagnusm at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 7 17:00:25 EDT 2005

CR Mayhew Comcast Account wrote:

> A book bag?!  As in, an illuminated manuscript?  Any further details
> on why one would think it might be a book bag?
>
> --charlotte mayhew (*very* curious now!)

If it was the one in a picture someone posted to this list
a couple of years ago it doesn't look much like a book bag
[cumdach or polaire] to me. I have not seen the book on
St. Cuthbert's things specifically, but I do have the
articles on the bookbags [of the style used in Ireland, etc.];
One of them included Cuthbert's book bag as I -think-.
  Buckley, J.J.: Some Early Ornamented Leatherwork.
Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland vol. XLV,
part IV, 1915. pp.300-309 (Cumdachs and Polaires: Medieval Irish
Book Shrines and Book Satchels)

Waterer, J.: Irish Book-Satchels or Budgets, Medieval Archaeology 12,
1968, pp. 70-82, plates IV-VII.  Depicts the Breac Moedoic Budget;
some stitching details used on budgets; exploded sketch of the
one-piece Irish Shoe, sewn together and the heel detail;  The
Corpus Christi budget, a conjectural restoration.
Plate IV shows three views of the Breac Moedoic Budget, two sides
and a bottom view.  Plate V shows a Mock-up of the Breac Moedoic
Budget in two views.
Plate VI shows The Corpus Christi Budget from the front (very
damaged) and the Budget of the Book of Armagh from the front.
Plate VII shows the Armagh Budget with the front flap raised to
show the full front, and the back of the same budget.

St. Cuthbert's stuff I haven't seen:
Powel R (1956) The Stoneyhurst Gospel: The binding. in ed. Battiscombe,
C.F. (Ed.):
The Relics of Saint Cuthbert.   Oxford University Press , Oxford , 1956
First Edition , 561 pages, 58 plates, 3 in colour, and numerous
illustrations in the text. This is a collection of studies by various
authors collected and edited with an introduction by C F Battiscombe.
Oxford, printed for the Dean and Chapter of Durham Cathedral at the
Univ... 1956 12.
24"x10". 1st. Edition limited to 750 copies. . Large 4to. Publisher's
cloth, dustwrapper; pp. xv, [i], 561, [1], colour frontispiece and 57
black and white photograph plates, numerous
illustrations within the text.  A huge book,  beautifully produced,
complete with coat of arms in gold on front board.

There is a page up on the internet on cumdachs and polaires
that is illustrated. Really a nice page. Kinda frustrating
when you try to buy the articles/journals cited. Can take
you years to find them but I succeeded.

I've had a good month last month. :) Ran down a number of books
I had been looking for for years [more than one something like eight].
One of those arrived not an hour ago. One last week too.

I found my copy of Mappae Clavicula. Took me about two hours
but I found it and a lot of other stuff I knew I had somewhere
and a lot of books I didn't remember having at all. Two of
Viking Age Dublin too.

> ----- Original Message ----- From: nathan To: list-Regia-NA Sent:
> Monday, June 06, 2005 5:14 PM Subject: RE: [Regia-NA] Heavy
> undertunics under mail shirt ( forward)
>

> The leather 'tunic' from loch glashden would probably be what he
> based this on.

Can you cite the source for this?
I think I'd like to obtain it.

I was looking at Sandy's photos on the frojel.com site last week
and lots of them had leather covered Wisby armors on. I have the
book on the Armour from the Battle of Wisby but that is the first
time I have seen the plates mounted inside leather. This was from
Medieval Week at the town of Wisby/Visby on Gotland.

Magnus