[Regia-NA] Wi-Il Work Weekend

Folo Watkins folo at advancenet.net
Sun Jan 9 01:08:24 EST 2005

Martin mentioned that folks might enjoy hearing about the first real get
together for the Wisconsin-Illinois group. Here goes:

The proposed Wisconsin-Illinois Regia group had a very pleasant and
enjoyable meeting today. We had nine people in attendance (six from
Illinois and three from Indiana).

We had a wide variety of books, clothes, manuals, web pages, sewing
projects, etc. on display, but much of the day was spent discussing what we
wanted out of Regia, what was planned and so forth. It was a fun exchange
of ideas, and I wish we had longer before we had to vacate the auditorium!
Everyone was in agreement with the basic presumption that RANA must be
accurate.

Authorizing rebated-steel fighters was considered important, as was
starting easy and not expecting to have a full kit overnight. Questions
were raised as to whether the interest among spectators was there, and it
was a general feeling that it is there, if nascent. School demos and
general shows were mentioned as goals. Working on RANA rules was, it was
agreed, important and probably a long-term project, but one that we should
discuss on line.

CDs containing costume web pages and a Newbie Handbook were passed out. The
handbook is not official and is still in the process of being compiled. One
part is a bibliography; citations of additional books are invited!

Membership applications were passed out, and the idea of a Wi-Il web page
was discussed.

It was, as noted, decided to continue discussion on-line and, because
everyone was affiliated to a greater or lesser degree, with the SCA, at SCA
events. The idea of regular meetings such as this one was put out as an
idea, but we were breaking up and will probably be decided in discussion.
An LHE was proposed for Jubilee (a medieval fair in June near Peoria,
Illinoius), probably in the SCA camp, and we'll be checking kit at a
previous SCA event, probably coronation or crown. Exact details will be
worked out later!

Cheers, Folo/Folki