[Regia-NA] Early Swedish Furniture Survivals Book

rmhowe mmagnusm at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 5 18:54:15 EST 2005

These are various citations for the very same book.

After Kinkos destroyed my first copy by slicing the
spine off irregularly so it couldn't ever be rebound
it took me a while to get another. It had come 'uncut'
on the page edges and needed to be trimmed where the
eight page signatures were folded and sewn in.
The idiot did the spine and not the page edges.
If you buy one you might get ones unopened as I did.

However for those of you interested
in early Swedish furniture, mostly just post viking, it
is fairly definitive. This was a post-graduate level thesis.
Now that I have one again I will share the information.

You might try http://www.ronnells.se/ or
http://www.ZVAB.com/ if bookfinder.com or abebooks.com
don't turn up anything. Or you might interlibrary loan
it. The copies I have seen on the web usually run from
a low of $40 to about $85 plus postage. If this interests
you it is a primary and fairly unique resource. It is
in black and white drawings and photographic plates.

Karlson, William: Studier I Sveriges Medeltida Möbelkonst; .
[A Study in/of Swedish Middle/Ages Furniture/Art.];
Publisher: Lund: Lindstedts, 1928; 151pp. with 8
figures plus 42 monochrome plates.  Wrappers, uncut, 29x23cms.
Swedish furniture from the Middle Ages,	including carved
benches, beds, stools, seats, chests, presses (cabinets for
linens and clothing), and a cradle. Some line drawings and
lots of photos. Swedish text,  French summary.

I think he found most of the existing stuff pre the Mastermyr
Tool-chest find and and a lot (probably most existing pieces) are
in the book. Most were in churches, which as usual, and is how
medieval furniture usually has survived.
Mobel basically means movable. A curious name for furniture
used in various slightly different terms in Europe to describe it.

KARLSON , WILLIAM: Studier i Sveriges medeltida möbelkonst. Lund,
Lindstedts, 	1928. 	Illustrerad i texten. ( 6 ) 152 + 8 sidor + 42
planscher. 4:o. Kartonnerad med omslagen som pärmpapper. Liten skada på
ryggen annars fint exemplar. - On the 	medieval art of furniture in
Sweden. With "a résume" in French, all other text in Swedish.

William Karlson: Studier i Sveriges Medeltida Mobelkonst, 1928.
Magnus Malleus, OL, SCA; Regia Anglorum - North America; The Manx;
Great Dark Horde.  Mundanely R.M. Howe
Great Barony of Windmasters' Hill - Central North Carolina.

*** Please do not repost on the Rialto or any usenet newsgroup.
I get enough spam as it is. Your local subscriber based
kingdom, barony, etc reenactor elist is fine to copy to,
as are your friends. Your yahoogroups lists are fine.
Just not usenet please.

I am -not- a copying service for the pecuniary types.
I am merely an information resource to the reenactor community.