[Regia-NA] October 14th - 938 years on

peter at citizen.co.uk peter at citizen.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 12:00:18 EDT 2004

As I sit here in Southern England it's close to sunset now, on this the 14th
October. Even though the dates all moved in the 1700's, sunset on the 14th
October is still the day we should remember those who fell on Senlac ridge
so many years ago.

What thoughts went through the minds of Harold II's Huscarls while they
waited for the end we can never know, but no doubt most, if not all, of them
knew the word of the poem. They would have heard it sung in the Mead-hall,
and sworn that they would do the same thing if the time ever came.

Our hearts must grow resolute, our courage more valiant,
our spirits must be greater, though our strength grows less.
Here lies our Lord all hewn down, goodly he lies in the dust.
A kinsman mourns that who now from this battle-play thinks to turn away.
I am advanced in years. I do not desire to be taken away,
but I by my liege Lord, by that favourite of men I intend to lie."

The full poem can be viewed here:

http://www.airflow.net/maldon/thepoem.html

Pete - Guthroth of Colanhomm

Have Sword, Will Travel.