[Regia-NA] FW: OT Ulster History Park

Nicholson, Andrew andrew.nicholson at dumgal.gov.uk
Tue May 4 09:22:54 EDT 2004

To: Irish-Archaeology at yahoogroups.com
Subject: ~IrArch > Ulster History Park

Medieval Castle Is Up For Keeps
By Sandra Murphy

Wednesday 28th April 2004

A MEDIEVAL castle and 89-foothigh stone-built round tower in Co Tyrone are just two of the unique buildings that went on the market yesterday.

Although the Ulster History Park contains only replica buildings from the Mesolithic era to Plantation times, auctioneers hope to fetch millions of pounds when it goes under the hammer.

The park in Omagh, which is set in 35 acres of the Sperrin Mountains, will be advertised as far afield as America.

Rory McConnell, from Belfast agents McConnell Martin, said there had been a number of inquiries on the sale.

"We have never had to sell anything like this before and I believe it is the

only sale of its kind in Ireland," he said.

"We will market this in America, as we are certain it will attract a huge amount of interest through an affiliate, King Sturge CORFAC International, who have 50 offices across the States."

Omagh District Council were forced to sell the park as it could no longer afford to run it.

It opened in 1990 at a cost of around £4 million.

Allan Rainey, chairman of Omagh District Council, said they were willing to sell the park as a whole or in two lots.

But he insisted this would be a last resort.

"None of us want to see the whole thing carved up and flogged off in
piecemeal.

"We would be happy if we could get one buyer, who would retain it as a
tourist attraction or other sustainable development," he said.

Mr McConnell said: "There is no reserve offer, as something as unique as
this is virtually impossible to value."

He said there was speculation that religious and philanthropic organisations

were eyeing the spot as a retreat area.

"At the moment, we're not thinking about taking the highest bidder but
evaluating each one and their plans for the site."

Unconditional offers must be made before June 18.

s.murphy at newsletter.co.uk

http://www.newsletter.co.uk

http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/p3prlB/TM

To join related IRQUAS discussion groups or find out more about the IRQUAS
project visit our website: http://www.maqqi.supanet.com

Unless otherwise explicitly stated in the message text, this message remains
under copyright of the author. IRQUAS accept no responsibility for views
expressed in this message.
Yahoo! Groups Links

     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

--
This e-mail is communicated in confidence.
It is intended for the recipient only and may