[Regia-NA] Re: *WH* Fwd: [Midlaurel] Be part of the success of an amazing museum!]

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 18 20:07:41 EST 2004

Marybeth Lavrakas wrote:
> I visited Barley Hall last September, it is a great
> place! They had one window with horn panes in place,
> and some lovely painted wall hangings, and a REALLY
> good gift store from an SCA perspective. To give you
> an idea of their fervor for authenticity, the linen
> wall hangings were sized with fish glue, then painted
> with period pigments. The wool clothing they had for
> people to play with was hand sewn. Hand sewn!! Wool!!
> Sweat stained!! (ick) The place is one of the may
> reasons I wish I could live in York. Sigh.
>
> =====
> Lady Kateryn Rous, CP
> House Broussard
> Windmasters Hill
> http://sca.livingpast.com

The York Archaeological Trust book on the leatherwork
and shoes by Ester Cameron and Ian Carlisle is due
out this year. You might want to pre-order from
Oxbowbooks.com / David Brown Book Co. and avoid
the ten dollars per pound (more now with inflation) book
postage from York direct. York is much faster but David Brown
is much cheaper. Ian started talking about it five
years ago and never mentioned Ester was to be the
prime author. They monitor the medieval-leatherwork
at yahoogroups list.

If it is shoes only you want then Stepping Through Time
by Goubitz is the best book on the subject.

We have a sizable number of the York book series ourselves.

This is the last major medieval leatherwork book I know of
(besides a rare Hedeby one) that we don't have. There are
some scattered small ones from Scandinavia and Switzerland
I've been aware of but not been chasing seriously.

Magnus