[list-Regia-NA] knattleikr

Nicholson, Andrew andrew.nicholson at dumgal.gov.uk
Thu Mar 11 05:11:59 EST 2004

Looks like great fun. More authentic than troll-ball, and just as tough.

When you were looking at parallels, did you consider shinty (or hurling as
our Irish brethren call it)?

Try  http://shinty.com/

It also involves sticks, hard balls, goals and whole clans - plus I seem to
remember that it turns up in the early Irish writings. The modern version
is, of course, toned down. I recall the Irish mentioning fatalities and
serious injury, so striking the other players with the caman was probably
allowed.

Given that there is considerable evidence for Irish/Hebridean involvement in
the Icelandic settlement, it would seem a plausible contenderfor a sport
mentioned in saga contexts.

Guðrum

> At our winter feast, Hurstwic folks decided to make an attempt at
> recreating the Norse ball game, knattleikr.  The attempt was
> surprisingly
> satisfactory, and I've just uploaded a web page describing
> our efforts:
> http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/daily_living/text/kna
ttleikr.htm

Bill

list-Regia-NA site list
list-Regia-NA at lig.net

--
This e-mail is communicated in confidence.
It is intended for the recipient only and may