[Regia-NA] OT - E-bay fraud

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 30 20:59:13 EDT 2004

jim wrote:
> When I looked I got:
>
> This was a fraud site setup to steal your credit
> card and personal information.
>
> So please, if you see something on E-bay that
> looks suspicious to you, contact E-bay to let them
> know.
>
> Smiðr

I've had Romanians, where there are no police to deal
with this stuff, copy my Bellsouth Provider's html
page and ask for similar information in an html email.
So look for it that way too. Stuff like that I send to
the Treasury folks over here. Logging into the FBI.gov
site gets you an attempt at around 50 cookies on your
computer. You wouldn't believe how many. The FBI did
catch the Romanians who were blackmailing the Antarctic
Base for money or they would shut down life support -
and they proved they were capable of it via computer.

Look at View/Source and you can often track down the
country from the initials at the end of their email
address. Or use one of the sites like ARIN to track
them from the four sets of numbers they originated from.

I tracked down one Nigerian Spammer to a street address in
Virginia and contacted the VA attorney general. They
prosecute for spam in Virginia, and will even extradite
from other states. They extradited some local to me
in NC. Half of all the email goes through servers in VA.
So they get rather tired of it.

Other weird stuff I sometimes send to their national
police or their American Embassies.

Magnus