[Regia-NA] Filming - a report

Pete James peter at citizen.co.uk
Tue Jul 27 11:17:06 EDT 2004

Hi

Mike in Phoenix sent me the following which recounts the experiences of a
mixed group of Western-US re-enactors who were involved in a shoot with the
History Channel on Monday. It is forwarded with his permission.

Sounds like a good day was had by all.

Pete - Guthroth of Colanhomm

Literature stops in 1100.
After that it's just books.

J.R.R. Tolkien

*************************

Twelve dark-age rebated steel re-enactors (representing The Vikings, Regia,
NADARA etc.) just finished filming (well "video taping" actually) an episode
for the history channel.  The program is called "Command Decisions" and the
episode we shot  is on the  "Battle of Hastings."  They tell us it should be
aired on the History Cannel (in the states, not sure about Europe)  in about
four to six weeks.

We each got lots of (what we say in the "biz" )  ;) "Face Time."  I was a
Huscarle, a Norman, a Saxon shieldman, one of Williams advisors, a soldier
carrying a message, sitting with some guys eating under a tree . . . all
sorts of stuff.  There were only twelve of us trying to  portray all of the
Normans and Saxons at Hastings (something like 12,000+ men).  So when you
see it think of each of us representing 1,000 and it will seem just about
right!  ;)

Henrik Olsgaard played William the Conqueror, riding about on horseback.  He
did a great job!  Great kit and they shot some good scenes of him riding up
and down hills etc.   Frank Eager and I traveled together from Phoenix,
Arizona.  Frank  also had plenty of "face time" (you can recognize him as he
is half a foot taller than everyone else!)  He was a very convincing
Huscarle.

We filmed around some mountains north/east of San Francisco . . .  It was
one LONG hard day, (filming from about 8am to about 7PM) - We were being
told "march here, fight there," etc. - then - "Oh wait a minute, march back
and we'll shoot the same scene again" "take number six!" "Can you guys all
take your armor off" . . .  OK . . . "wait a minute, put in back on" . . .
"OK, now can everyone change helmets and shields and look like Saxons." etc.
"Who wants blood on their face?"   ("I do, I do." ) "OK, now more yelling
this time, and more dirt on the faces and hands." etc. Unlike Brad Pitt or
Jennifer Aniston, we didn't have our own air-conditioned trailers,
nutritionists, "life coaches", masseurs or private chefs.  We did, however,
have sodas, cold beans  and some  sandwiches from Albertson's! (Hey, you
have to start somewhere.)

The director and crew were great to work with, very friendly and
professional.    I learned a lot about how they make these shows.  Sometimes
the production people have ideas about how things "should be done,"  [like
Normans eating cantaloupe, broken in half with a rock! ]  Hey buddy  -  we
are not "cave men" - and "who brought cantaloupes to Hastings anyway?".  (We
ate the cantaloupe, but cut it up with a scram sax instead of smashing it
with a rock.)  Sometimes they want us to do things that are  not really
perfect to the expert - (what we"in the biz"  ;) call  "creative
differences!") so those of you on this distribution list, who are experts,
please be kind in your critique when the show airs.  ( One example is that
in some scenes they wanted us to use ocular helmets to designate Saxon from
Norman . . .   I know, I know, it's not 'right' but we did it. )  These
productions are not made for "re-enactors",  they are made for the general
public.

I believe I also have a better appreciation of how these shows are also made
on a shoe-string budget.  I remember them picking up a length of rope, a
hammer and a hand ax, and going off  with a few fellows  to "shoot the
making of the ships" that William needed to cross the channel.  I was
thinking, "where are you going to find ships out here?"  But you didn't
really need ships at all, just a tree limb and some wood to smack.  I think
it will turn out convincing however.

In short,  I'm really tired and after a day of swinging a sword, ax,
carrying a Kite shield, marching in medieval shoes up and down hills,
fighting  in marshes,  and more, all  I can say is, "Thank God for
Ibuprofen!"

Our kit is dirty, many of our weapons are broken, shields whacked, muscles
sore . . .  it was great!

Michael Cady
Phoenix, Arizona