[Regia-NA] Essex History Fair & Kent Museum shows.

J K Siddorn kim.siddorn at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 10:05:15 EDT 2004

Two more chalk-and-cheese venues could not readily be found and back to back over seven days brings it home to one just
how much we value an audience that appreciates our sterling qualities!

The Essex History Fair is put on by Essex County Council and moves about from place to place all over the shire. They've
had re-enactors there before, but (and I quote) "You are by far the best and most numerous we've had". They were very
pleased with our LHE and thought the battle was "fierce and scarey" with the acting bits "believable and audible"!

My thanks to all those who came and made it an interesting and worthwhile day.

Our event for the Kent Archaeology Service at the Museum of Kent life was a two day show, the Saturday for their
ordinary clientele, the Sunday in support of the national Young Archaeologists Day. We were up and running in good time,
vehicles off and authentic by ten.

Silence - wot visitors would they be then? To my surprise, the Museum staff told us that we were not expected to do
anything in particular that day so we had a pleasant, relaxing day talking to the seven or so real visitors and the
hordes of Medieval Siege Society members who were (by the purest chance) at a wedding reception on another part of the
site!

Sunday dawned with lots of earnest rushing about by exhibitors and the trickle of people at 8.30 busy setting up
gathered strength as the positive flood of visitors came in the gate from ten onwards. It was a busy, busy, busy day on
the LHE and we had good audiences for an excellent "arming of the knight" presentation, done two handed by Nigel as the
knight and me doing the obvious commentary etc.

Julian Richards (the presenter of "Blood of the Vikings" and "Meet the Ancestors") was there talking about bones and
reconstruction techniques and was delighted to see us again. He was very complimentary about the manner in which we
present history and his informed and expert eye perceived no basilisks or monsters ! I asked him if he would do the
'archaeological relevence' part of the boat burial (it was Martin William's turn to feel unwell!) and he was especially
impressed with the concept, the expertise with which it was arranged and presented to say nothing of the nonchalant way
in which we appeared with a first class replica boat. ;o))

I thought we might not be very numerous with three events in three weekends, so I was in kit and did coin striking. I'll
never be another Dave the Moneyer, you know, I talked about coins and stuff until I was hoarse, but only sold ten!

The battle was swift and ended with a decisive Norman victory despite the best the Saxon army could do. There were
enough of us in sufficient armour to be convincing and the LHE continued to operate while that battle took place. We
ended the day by judging a brooch making contest and Steve Etheridge got lumbered with the job at no notice at all. What
are officers for, after all.

We had a film company present for the afternoon and they wandered about the LHE, filmed the battle and asked for two set
ups afterwards - and that was it. Thanks to all those who took the time to support it at the end of the day - the
footage they got was just what they needed. Look out for a new series of "Timelines", a BBC educational series that has
featured Regia twice before. Due for transmission in the early hours of the morning one day in January as it is intended
for teacher's to record. Yes, Regia did get paid, but only a few hundred quid as they only needed certain specific
shots.

The client made the mistake of leaving me alone with a large tub of lollipops and these were swiftly distributed
following a shout of "Wimples off". Thus it was that for a short time, a Regia LHE was filled with people with little
white things sticking out of their mouths ...

Thanks to everyone who made it an excellent event and one at which we cheerfully exceeded our client's expectations.

BTW, there are a fair few lollipops left and they might well make their way to Cleethorpes on Friday.

See you there.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,