[Regia-NA] It gets worse

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 13 21:46:06 EDT 2004

Tracie Brown wrote:
> No-o-o-o-o-o-o-oo-oo-oo!
> -- Tracie

Pray you're not sweaty on a dusty hot Pennsic day.
You could become one of the instant mud people.
Of course this means others would be writing 'Wash Me'
across some prominent private feature or other. :)
Early tribal tatooing.

Last time I saw the illustrations on line they were off
of locksley.com or the greatdarkhorde.org websites.

However, they seem to be here today:
http://members.tripod.com/worldtree/GDH/bikini.htm

Master Ioseph of Locksley/Joe Bethancourt is a hordebrother
of mine. We GDH put the pages up together in response to the
prohibition of period bikinis at Pennsic. We are the
officially ignored foil to the Board of Directors even
if we have been on it at times or Corporate SCA officers
as still presently.

I strongly suspect that this was aimed at the Tuchux
primarily but then why not just outlaw the Tuchux?
Probably because the Tuchux might take serious offense.
[As it is they are barely tolerated anymore by the Coopers
who run the event.  See the pretty sheep? Pet the pretty
sheep. See us slaughter and cook the pretty sheep.
Why are your children crying? Toss the Tuchux off their
traditional hill for good. General uproar and prohibition
against slaughtering animals at Pennsic resulted, even
pertaining to Tuchux.]

A few years back four Tuchux with big sticks were seen
to have happened upon a dropped lightstick not too far
from the Horde camp. While beating it animatedly crying
"Bad Juju!" they managed to knock one of themselves out
and after determining that it was only a moderately
serious subdural hematoma (reportedly some are doctors
or anaesthetists (which would figure)) the remaining
three recommenced beating the hell out of the inoffensive
light stick.  There are good Tuchux stories and bad
Tuchux stories, it simply depends on which witnesses you
heard it from. My advice? Unless you are built like
King Kong stay out of Tuchux camp after dark.

According to the SCA timeline bikinis are period.
This was four or five years ago. Probably Pennsic XXX.

I'm the one who cited the leather bikini bottom that is in
the article by John Waterer in Roman Crafts by Strong and
I believe that it resides at the Museum of London website.
At one time I think it was also on their leather preservation
pages. I can't recall if they have a searchable database or not.
I suspect that is where Ioseph or fellow conspirators got
the illustration. Ioseph has hundreds of pages. Writes
very complicated ones just for fun and business.

I can't recall just which bumpy brother (f) did the redaction
of how to make your own bikini that is also on the pages.

Someone else came up with the mosaics pictures but I
remembered they existed at the time and mentioned it.

I suppose it would be hilarious to see Kim beach his ship
and take off up the beach after bikini souvenirs at a demo
though. Viking panty raids - hey there's a thought!
Why you'd have all manner of Englishmen joining up,
even Cornish and Welsh (who can actually sing). Maybe
that is the reason we find no underwear from Regia period
England. All them Norse feeling horsey. Probably wore them
like scalp locks. Not quite as good as the mounted Confederate
militia chasing the yankees around Hart's Square and firing
at them with great clouds of black powder but amusing none
the less. :)  I cannot wait until someone discharges a
cannon at them downrange. I'm all for filling it with
paintballs.

One of our friends is the head autocrat again for Pennsic
this year (this makes two immediate locals to me). If they
give you a hard time talk to Master Callixtus of Gill.
This is his back to back (proving insanity) year of
running it.  Mistress Stephania Herring (also local)
has run it (when it hasn't been often times hordebrothers).
Running Pennsic is one way to probably get a Pelican peerage.
For the English amongst us that is about 12,000+ people for
two weeks and involves six or more months of personal sacrifice.
Tell Calli Master Magnus can prove they are period.
My wife can smack him with the book at most [three times
per month] canton meetings.

Magnus