[Regia-NA] Embroidery on shoes

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 9 16:39:44 EDT 2004

Carolyn Priest-Dorman wrote:
> Magnus wrote:
>
>> Larsen, Arne J. Footwear from the Gullskoen Area of  Bryggen. (The
>> Bryggen Papers, Main Series, vol. 4) Oslo: Scandinavian University
>> Press, 1992. It has a discussion on leather embroidery,   especially
>> for shoes. In this case it was largely decorative.
>

> And it is, of course, all from contexts later than Rega period.

Yes, that is true.  However, Ian Carlisle of the York leather
archaeologists also reported five years ago on the leather list
that wool thread was being used on the York shoes as well as
thonging for stitching.

The best general book on leather shoes from many periods is by
far Waateringe's Stepping Through Time. At this point I am
still looking for only two more leather books from period {one
English and one German) and one Connoiseur article. Most of
the rest from multiple countries I have. There are a few Swiss
shoe articles I really don't need.
As long as we were discussing leather embroidery on
shoes The Bryggen book is the primary one on it.
At least before the new York book, which I have yet to fully
read but have now.

As Master Finnr once said there are only so many ways to wrap
a dead animal around your feet.

Magnus die Teufel