[Regia-NA] Have a Happy.....:-)

Frojel Gotlandica frojel at dcsi.net.au
Mon Jul 5 19:27:08 EDT 2004

You left out
 England continues to transport convicts to America and Australia not discovered untill the 20th century.
LOL.

--Original Message Text---
From: Jack Garrett
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 13:02:16 -0700 (PDT)

My two cents on alternative history (All in fun, please don't take it seriously.):

-  Napoleon Bonaparte is unwilling to sell "Louisiana" to the Commonwealth of North America (CNA),
even if he does need the money desperately.  France maintains an extended presence in North America,
including the province of Quebec.

-  A radical group using "Libert‚, Egalit‚, Fraternit‚" as a rallying cry, attempts a French revolution.  Few
pay attention and the effort is quashed.

-  A smaller CNA is less aggressive with Spanish and Mexican possessions (no Gadsden Purchase, no
battle of the Alamo, no Mexican War of 1848, no Spanish/American War), with most of the West remaining
in shifting Spanish/Mexican/French hands.

-  Without a US driven by "Manifest Destiny", Alaska remains in Russian hands.  North American conflict
drains everybody's treasuries.  Continuing Russia/China-type border conflicts in the Northwest Territories.

-  North American borders run North/South rather than East/West.

-  With Germany left out of costly border wars in North America, it wins World War I and occupies
France.  Wine quality deteriorates, but the waiters are more courteous.

-  Without a ruinous Treaty of Versailles as a rallying cry, former Corporal Adolph Hitler has an extended
career as a wallpaper hanger.

-  Jerusalem is established as the capital of Palestine.  Most of the the Middle East selects the 8th century as
a governing model.

-  Without artificial outside support, oil-producers in the Mideast are taken over in time-honored European
tradition.  Production is constantly interrupted by border wars.

-  Italy remains largely irrelevant.  Italians continue to create great art and frequent governments.

-  "Colonial" territories in North America form a Union - and squabble about currency for decades.

-  Japan occupies most of the Pacific.

-  China manufactures everything for everybody.

-  Germany puts the first man on the moon.

-  Aliens land in ... well, that's enough for now.

Jack Garrett
Regia Anglorum
North America

J K Siddorn <kim.siddorn at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
I too raised a glass to our American friends and relations. As revolutions go it was pretty civil.

An interesting "What if ..." for scholars of the period is what if representation had accompanied taxation? A
British
Empire that included the Commonwealth of North America would have been a very different historical
influence in the
years that followed.

Comments will be read with great interest at this end!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,
Regia Anglorum

This e-mail is confidential, legally privileged and - unless otherwise stated in the message body - is intended
for the
sole attention of the addressee. If you are not this person, please do not read, save, re-transmit or print the
information it contains. Views expressed herein may or may not be the established policy of Regia
Anglorum. Unless
otherwise expressly agreed in writing, noth ing stated in this communication shall be legally binding.

Daily updated anti-virus software was used in the generation of this e-mail and any attachments, but it is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that their incoming mail is virus free.