[Regia-NA] Marylanders

Tracie Brown trbrown at uga.edu
Thu Jul 1 10:44:22 EDT 2004

>The Eastern panhandle of WV (Martinsburg, Harper's Ferry,
Charlestown &
>Shepherdstown) is now considered part of the Baltimore-DC
metro area by
>virtue of being connected by commuter rail.

   Even back in the 80s there were people commuting to DC,
the Pentagon and Crystal City from West Virginia.  They took
the passenger train to Union station and Metro from there.
There were enough of them, and the train trip long enough,
that there were classes (MBA stuff, usually)on the return
train trip. To say nothing of the WV folks commuting to
western Fairfax County by car and private commuter van. I
worked in Reston in the 70s, and the commute from WV was
shorter (in time) than from Arlington or Alexandria. Probably
still is.

   Construction turned my 12 minute commute into a
nightmarish 15 minutes this morning. <g> Actually, Tuesday
was the nightmare -- thanks to sloppy construction work, an
exposed piece of rebar tore up a tire, the rim and the
radiator (all replaced thanks to the construction company),
and it took me 2 hours to get to work.

-- Tracie