[Regia-NA] lengthening dresses/hazel

Kathy list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:52:46 -0500 (EST)

--0-1819161978-1073314366=:11853

A 'maven' in my experience in the SCA is one who  presumes to  pass judgement on matters of authenticity.   usually in tones dripping with disdain.. <g>  Not all of them are like that of course, and i have been fortunate in not running into one.... but there have been stories  about some of the less pleasant variety
katja
ps adding pieces to a garment was  an economic measure in many cases   I once had to use a slightly different shade of green for the sleeves of the tunic i was making when i ran out of material.. I was later told that was quite 'period'  especially amongst the poorer  folk..

Hazel Uzzell <gythe@snrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

Please....what is a 'maven'?  For Regia, you don't often see manuscript pictures of women's dresses treated in this way, although men's tunics sometimes seem to have strips of different colours along the bottom.
If you don't have any of the same colour cloth left, and you can't 'pouch' less over your belt, (if you wear one), then a strip of different colour would be OK.
Hazel

---------------------------------

--0-1819161978-1073314366=:11853

<DIV>A 'maven' in my experience in the SCA is one who&nbsp; presumes to&nbsp; pass judgement on matters of authenticity.&nbsp;&nbsp; usually in tones dripping with disdain.. &lt;g&gt;&nbsp; Not all of them are like that of course, and i have been fortunate in not running into one.... but there have been stories&nbsp; about some of the less pleasant variety </DIV>
<DIV>katja</DIV>
<DIV>ps adding pieces to a garment was&nbsp; an economic measure in many cases&nbsp;&nbsp; I once had to use a slightly different shade of green for the sleeves of the tunic i was making when i ran out of material.. I was later told that was quite 'period'&nbsp; especially amongst the poorer&nbsp; folk..</DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR><B><I>Hazel Uzzell &lt;gythe@snrd.freeserve.co.uk&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<DIV id=0></DIV><BR><SPAN id=hbblock>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV><FONT size=2>Please....what is a 'maven'?&nbsp; For Regia, you don't often see manuscript pictures of women's dresses treated in this way, although men's tunics sometimes seem to have strips of different colours along the bottom.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>If you don't have any of the same colour cloth left, and you can't 'pouch' less over your belt, (if you wear one), then a strip of different colour would be OK.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Hazel</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></SPAN>
--0-1819161978-1073314366=:11853--