[Regia-NA] Migration period sword on e-bay

rmhowe mmagnusm at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 23 16:14:47 EST 2004

My congratulations Kim, you certainly nailed that one.
I thought that handle looked awfully familiar and in good shape.
But I have pictures of quite a few, both drawn and photographed
from many excavations and books more specifically on swords
and the same type is not that uncommon.
The lack of remains of a scabbard didn't really occur to me
as they so rarely survive. I have Cameron's works on scabbards.

An English metalurgist of the 19th/early 20th C whose work
I collect once suggested that silver generally tends to
deteriorate rapidly in the ground due to included acids and
rainwater. Explains this is why so many fewer silver articles
are found in nice condition.
That man was extremely learned by the way and went to Japan
to help them with their modern mint set up. In the process he
recorded the metal mining, refinement, smelting, alloying and
traditional processes of minting in that country.
Very conclusively. William Gowland. He also wrote about
European antiquities as I recall. His articles are in
diverse journals such as metallography societies and the various
Royal Asiatic Societies.

It's a pity someone will still buy it unawares and there
is probably no good way to warn them other than by sending
this reply to potential bidders. Chivalry apparently has
different meanings to different people. To me, at least,
it includes honesty. Faking a hilt and pommel would not
be among my definitions at all.

I'll be leaving town today and gone for Xmas so will be
off the computer for a while.

Magnus