[Regia-NA] OT-Hurricane Charley

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 19 03:43:55 EDT 2004

Jeanne wrote:
> That's great!
>
> Mobile home/trailer should never be used in the same sentence as Hurricane!

Actually, they are Tornado Magnets. Fortunately the nearest ones
to me are in old, northern Cary, a distance of five to eight miles.
Hurricanes are too big to care, although the last one was feared to
be causing tornadoes in some of it's outer rims passing over. Most
of it cut to the east and headed out east. Bless the Canadian
Jet Stream. Cold is better than no power for weeks and flattened
houses and floods.

>  One woman was sitting in her trailer
> when a large tree came down like a giant club, one volunteer
> firefighter got hit by a tree coming down as he responded to
> a call, one man later was found under the stump of a tree
> his coworker cut the tree loose from. Like clapping a large
> hand. Our friend Sir Gunther's neighbors drowned in Rocky
> Mount.
>
> We're only about 6 feet not that much!
>
> Now figure that New Orleans is 17 feet below sea level and if
> the dikes burst... They have to bury the dead in crypts above
> the water table down there. Not quite like floating off into
> the great beyond unidentified in your watertight burial
> vault which popped out of the earth but still...

My neice and her husband live in Nawleans. I believe part of it
is 17 feet deep. Unless your area is drowning in midwest silt.
All that stuff on the enlarged Gulf beyond the Delta plate
seems like the weight will cause an earthquake sooner or later.
If it happened to Charleston SC it can happen to New Orleans
too. Port Royal was above sea level once too. Then half of it
disappeared in one afternoon. But twenty feet deep is great for
the nautical archaeologists. It's just that there is so much of
it. But nothing like sunken Alexandria. Bigger than the port of
Caesarea though.

Magnus