[Regia-NA] Padded jerkins/gambesons

NickBibby at aol.com NickBibby at aol.com
Mon Aug 16 20:21:07 EDT 2004

OK, I've now got my 5ft square unlined plain tabby single layer wool cloak
pinned correctly [Phew, thanks for saving lots of wasted effort there  folks]

So next question.

Padded jerkin to go under chainmail or as stand alone leather armour -  So
leather faced, obviously, but........

What pattern? [10thC]

How heavily padded?

Best padding material?

Do you pad the underarms and walk around like the Michelin Man or leave  them
unpadded and die horribly from a thrust to the armpit just as you're about
to deliver "The Great Stroke"?

Best method of attaching/stuffing/stitching padding?

The only evidence I've found was the 9thC Loch Glashan Jerkin, which now
appears to actually be a book satchel, so no help there. What does evidence  and
practical experience suggest?
HEEEELP!!!!!!