[Regia-NA] Battlefield Britain

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 5 06:07:35 EDT 2004

Hazel Uzzell wrote:
> I saw a 'foretaste' of 'Battlefield Britain' (starts tomorrow night) on
> BBC1 this morning. The graphics look amazing....maybe the days of filmed
> re-enactment are numbered?? :-)
> Hazel

That is what the toy Roman soldiers are telling each other on the
History Channel ad (the footsoldier looks like R. Lee Ermey of Mail
Call. Odd that he should name that program after his big scene
in Saving Silverman. Loved him in Siege of Firebase Gloria though.).

There is some new program on now called something like Command Decision
that is touting 21'st century CGI as the replacement for actors.
May as well call it the Game Channel if they do that.

Not impressed with it myself but then I am analog.

Oh, Yass, Kim, thanks for the Digital Photography bit.
It might help a bit.

I have a direct to minidisc Sony that I bought a year ago
and have yet to try out. I bought it to illustrate my articles
like bone carving by the pictures. Figured I could edit them
easier than drawing around over a lightbox on real pix.

Meanwhile I am still using the
traditional SLR with it's postage stamp sized to 600mm range.
Most film isn't grainy anymore. I remember when I was using
Black and White film for the newspapers and developing it.
Then we had to screen the shots too so we could print them on
an offset press. Grainy in the extreme.

Was shooting close ups of double sided Chinese transparent
embroidery last week. Fish that look like they are swimming
in transparent water from both sides, ladies that are front
and back profiles on the same silk too. Fantastic twelve foot
peacock scenes. The two story, two weaver, thirty foot long
brocade loom that was capable of 4" x 28" per day was interesting
too. Bought some samples of those weavings.

Magnus