[Regia-NA] Embroidery? (pics)

Carolyn Priest-Dorman list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:15:30 -0400

Wil wrote:

>would it have been more authentic
>to do the embroidery on a seperate piece of fabric, then sew that fabric as an
>edging onto the tunic? I seem to recall that the wool Mammen tunic had silk
>cuffs which were embroidered, but *ALSO* featured embroidery done directly to
>the material.

None of the Mammen embroideries were found on silk:  they were all on the
red 2/1 twill wools and the wool cushion.  You might be thinking of the
silk cuffs, which were padded and ornamented with metallic brocaded tablet
weaving.

However, embroidered silk strips were applied to garments in Viking
cultural contexts in the ninth and tenth century at Birka and
Valsgaerde.  Whether or not that makes it an okay thing to do in the Regia
context is not up to me, though.

Carolyn Priest-Dorman              Þóra Sharptooth
  http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html