[Regia-NA] Introductions

Steve Etheridge list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:39:43 +0000

Hi, Juan

To add to the welcome of my distinguished predecessor.....

>For smithing you'd have to start off with the report on the Mastermyr hoard
>of tools as a starting point. [Can someone cite the biblios for Juan
>please,
>I'm at work sans library]. Kim Siddorn's book on Viking Weapons and Warfare
>includes a good summary section on ironworking on our period.

A book on the Mästermyr find -

The Mästermyr Find: A Viking Age Tool Chest from Gotland
by Greta Arwidsson and Gösta Berg ISBN 0965075516.

Available from David Brown books on your side of the pond for $17-95 plus
postage

Kim's little epistle is

Viking Weapons and Warfare
by J Kim Siddorn ISBN 0752414194

from the same source priced $26-99

The old original (1992 vintage) handbook is out there electronically
somewhere - complete with all the mistakes.  The new handbook will be coming
out in parts, hopefully the first volume will be hitting the streets after
Christmas (oops - now I've given out a schedule).  That will cover basic
member info (mostly aimed at UK re-enactment, but there should be enough for
the US) and basic kit construction.  Later volumes will cover history,
society, and sources.

If you ask us good questions, they might even get into the handbook....

Steve

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger