[Regia-NA] Embroidery? (pics)

Linda Rice list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:56:07 -0400

Wow, a guy I can talk embroidery with, cool!  :o>

Ok, what you've done isn't a herringbone, but it's still way cool and =
ok. You did a basic running
stitch, with a row of overstitch on each side. See this site:
http://www.42nd-dimension.com/NFPS/nfps_stitches.html
This should give you a good idea of what's good. As you found out, it's =
perfectly ok to combine
different stitches and colors to suit your tastes.  And, it's fine to =
"applique" your embroidery in
bands. It gives you the option of easy removal when the garment wears =
out, so you can transfer your
hard work to a new tunic if you want. It also adds another color into =
the mix. For example, you
might have a blue tunic, with red and green embroidery on a yellow band. =
I wouldn't necessarily get
too crazy with it, but subtle is good.=20

As far as thread type, instead of cotton, try a nice wool crewel yarn =
instead. I've heard good
things about Appleton Brand, although I haven't yet tried it myself:
http://www.jennyjune.com/appleton_crewels.asp

I use linen thread all the time, just make sure you beeswax it when you =
use it!=20

Good Luck!

::Linda::