[Regia-NA] Preserving in Period

mik lawson list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:07:02 +0100 (BST)

--0-87213319-1063818422=:86693

Having tried this method for preserving meat for very short periods i thought i'd comment.I've found that meat is'nt preserved in fast flowing cold mountain streams but it does slow down the decay.The problem is that there are still insects that can happily navigate in fast flowing streams so a cloth bag of some discription is a must to keep the bugs off for a short period of time.That is of course presuming that there are no hungry predators of the type that still exist in the US around to snatch your hard won meat?This was tried in Scotland in Autumn when all the midges had gone on holiday.
Regards,
 mik

crmayhew@hotmail.com wrote:
I came across something in a book about Inuits that mentioned them putting
meat in cold-flowing rivers in spring and summer to preserve it a bit. So
it got me to wondering--think rivers are cold enough in Scandinavia to do
that? Scotland? (Even given the Medieval Warm Period.)

Yes, yes, this is an old thread, but I was curious if folks might have
opinions on this.

--charlotte mayhew