[Regia-NA] The shield wall

Ron Branga list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:20:51 -0400 (EDT)

> The fact that an Anglo-Scandanavian army at hastngs could stand for a
> day  against mass cavalry charges (the like of which shocked both
> byzantine and  arab armies into submission within a generation) gives a
> good indication of  the level of discipline and courage that was
> attainable.  Please remember  that it takes a good degree of training
> for someone to put thier life in  peril just because someone has given
> an order.

**To further support Steve, here is somehting from a primary source, the
Battle of Maldon. Our Englisc ancestor's well knew how to fight.

"Then Byrhtnoth marshalled his soldiers,
 riding and instructing, directing his warriors
 how they should stand and the positions they should keep,
 and ordering that their shields properly stand firm
 with steady hands and be not afraid.
 Then when he beheld that people in suitable array,
 he dismounted amid his people, where he was most pleased to
 be, there amid his retainers knowing their devotion."

Ron Branga
Eželęceres/Othala Acres