[Regia-NA] The shield wall

Steve Etheridge list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:06:08 +0000

Wil wrote

>I ran across the above article online last week. Does it seem that the
>author is
>perhaps assigning too much formality and discipline to the Viking Age
>shield
>wall? Do you think the average 10th century army could effectively pull off
>the
>different arrangements and layouts? I've always just seen the Viking Age
>shield
>wall as a sort of positive side effect of warriors simply lining up to
>fight,
>rather than the almost Hellenic formations and orders implied in the
>article.

While it is impossible to be definite on how Viking age armies were
organised, there is a tendency to assume that the image was the reality.

Thus - Romans are organised, they have all the same kit, they have all the
same training, and they fight in the same way.

Vikings are disorganised.  They praise individual skill and bravery above
teamwork, and take orders, if at all, with reluctance.

It is possible to poke holes with the first - I was actually quite surprised
to find out that the Latin Orders that the Roman Marching Societies on this
side of the pond use come from no millitary manual, but were in fact made
up, because "they thought the Romans would have had them"

However, the second is an abiding image.  It is also the image of "barbarian
warfare" generally, and difficult to shake.  However, how you fight depends
on where you are fighting, and what your objectives are.

Take a typical Viking raid, a "strandhogg" (Called a "Chevauchee" in the
later middle ages).  You pick a high value target - a church, or a rich
estate, or (if you have the men) a town.  You hit hard, overwhelm any
defences with superior numbers, carry away anything portable and valuable,
and traditionally burn the rest to give any persuing forces something else
to worry about rather than trying to catch you.  The last thing that you
want is a formal, stand-up fight.  Because this warfare is (in modern
parlance) "irregular", does not mean that the troops involved in it are any
less well trained or disciplined than the regular troops.  Would you suggest
that special forces are more poorly trained than the regulars?  yet they
engage in "low intensity" warfare.

However, the invasion proper requires a different way of doing things.  Here
you _want_ to have a stand up fight.  If you are invading, then you want to
find the opposing army and demolish it to stamp your authority over the
area.  If defending, then you want to remove the invaders off your land.
Here then, there will be much picking of land, formal tactics and
discipline.  The question was, were these indulged in in the Viking age?

I have come across the same sort of phrase in far too many textbooks.
"Battles of the period were little more than organised football hooliganism"
and "Swordplay consisted of unscientific clubbing".  I would question wether
the authors of phrases similar to the last had ever picked up a well
preserved Broadsword. Those who are guilty of the first cliche have
obviously not heard (as the police have, to thier cost) that some hooligans
can be very well organised indeed.  This is all part of the image problem.
To have tactics and discipline, there is a need for organisation and
training.

There is of course, evidence for both of these in other places in Europe,
most obviously Constantinople, but an amount for England as well.  The
Viking homelands had contact with both of these areas, and fought both for
and against them with some success.  In Denmark, we find clear evidence of
millitary organisation - the Danevirke, and the Trellborg style forts are
obvious examples.  The latter, although perhaps only used for a generation,
show not only central control but central planning as well.  They would have
been ideal barracks for the training of an army - possibly for the
unifcation and defence of Denmark.

The fact that an Anglo-Scandanavian army at hastngs could stand for a day
against mass cavalry charges (the like of which shocked both byzantine and
arab armies into submission within a generation) gives a good indication of
the level of discipline and courage that was attainable.  Please remember
that it takes a good degree of training for someone to put thier life in
peril just because someone has given an order.  As we have found out on
numerous occasions, it only takes one man to flee or fall for a shieldwall
to break.  There is also an evolutionary principle at work.  Those armies
that are well organised will survive, those who are not will fall.

It is interesting to note that Vegitius, writer of the first manual for the
Roman army was written in the c4th - at a time when the Roman army relied
heavily on Germannic mecenaries.  One formation he describes, a flying
wedge, we meet in Saxo Grammaticus, a c12th historian, describing "Viking"
tactics.  This does not prove that the Vikings carried on a tradition of
warfare dating back to the Romans - Saxo might have read Vegitius, or one of
the contemporary commanders might have.  But the formations described are
complex enough to let us know that in the C12th it was thought that their
recent ancestors fought in a organised, disciplined fashion.

Another pointer is the ships that they fought in.  The Skuldev 2 wreck, the
largest so far reconstructed (although not the largest found) has 33 pairs
of oars.  Each rowing bench is about a yard from the one in front or behind.
  What this means is that you have to row exactly in time with the people
around you, otherwise you are not rowing at all.  Discipline and teamwork
are required normally - what this was like in battle conditions (and this
was most definietly a warship) I can only imagine.

Practical experimentation has shown that it does not take too much to take
an army of beginners and train them to march and fight as a shieldwall in
the heat of non lethal combat.  When the stakes were higher, I suspect that
the training would have been tougher as well.

So to answer your question, no, I don't beleive that the formations shown
are at all unlikely in the Viking age, and would most likely have been used
- along with a few others that they appear to have missed out!

Steve