[Regia-NA] Mantle question

Jan Ward list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:26:11 -0800 (PST)

The 10-foot rule is an SCA convention, probably not
official anywhere. It means that it looks right from
10 feet away. SCA's standards are extremely loose for
people attending events in general. For contests and
such, the standard goes up, but it's still fairly
loose for beginners. At least it is in this area. This
doesn't mean that people don't want to see better and
more authentic garb and accessories, just that it's
hard to enforce. SCA would rather welcome newcomers
and ease them in gradually and encourage them to be
better and better. Most SCA events are not for the
general public, so mis-informing paying clients is not
an issue. I think those of us who hanker for more
authenticity do it by research and teaching, and then
holding period encampments within events. We try to
make ourselves better, and encourage the rest by
example.
Edwinna