[Regia-NA] viking bows

Wulfhere se Treowryhta list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:27:04 -0500

   I was starting to get the impression you were annoyed by the concept.
I realize it's a compromise. Many historians think archers were poorly
regarded peasants for most of history so no one gave a rats backside if
they got hurt or not. Backing it took to much time and resource just
like built up handles. Roger Ascham, in "Toxophilus" comments on the
fact that even at that late date, with organized armies and "armories",
many archers were peasants who provided their own bows and often
brought "bent sticks" instead of quality bows.

   I fail to see how a natural fiber back detracts so much from the
experience of archery in war but hey. I can only hope some grave digger
lifts a backed bow from British soil sometime soon. Until then, I'll
stick to the SCA archery range where I'm considered an authenticity
freak. Wood self bow with no sealant, handle grip, wrapping or arrow
shelf. Heck, the tournament marshall wasn't going to let me shoot off
the hand because it was quite unsafe.