[Regia-NA] Bows with linen backing

Wulfhere se Treowryhta list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:09:52 -0500

Perhaps it's just my bad luck but I couldn't get an unbacked bow when I
went shopping. I think this is just a culmination of factors, not the
least of which being that a reasonable cost bow wouldn't be made from a
pristine piece of yew. So, you can rough a bow out of just about any
sawn crud lumber yard stave and get uniform tiller and strength by
putting on a laminate. Litigation may be a factor, it's not for me at
any rate.

Yes, laminates are a good way to control the weaknesses of various
woods. Though, most north American white woods gain follow by
compressing the belly.