[Regia-NA] viking bows

Ishido list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:27:31 -0800 (PST)

--0-196805994-1067239651=:79083

Hey guys... I'm new to the list, but I thought I would chime in. There is a fellow doing self-bows up here in VT and his prices are quite reasonable ( He will sell a roughed out bow, you do the sanding, for around 50$... I have friend who have been shooting them for years). I will have to ask a few folks how to get ahold of him, if you all are interested.

Robert

Wulfhere <wulfhere@masspostroad.net> wrote:
Well bud, based on the Britons' response you will have to make your own
bow or buy one and grind off the backing. I don't know of any bowyers
in the states who will sell a wood bow without a stress cover on the
back. If you really want to make one, get a book called "The
Traditional Bowyers Bible Volume 1". It gives you all the basics. It'll
also teach you how to match the arrows. That's very important. A
longbow with arrows that are too stiff or to flexible will drive you
nuts. I had to make a bunch of arrows of different spine (that's
stiffness) and shoot them with no feathers. When they're wrong, they
won't even stick in a target. When they are just right, you don't need
the feathers. You can force a bend by using a heavier head or longer
shaft. Wood longbows are inefficient. A #50 draw bow probably needs a
#30 spine with a 100grain head about 3 inches longer than your draw
length, which will be about 31" if your 6'2". I'm 5'7" and draw just
28" but weigh 185lbs. I'm looking for a #100 plus bow just to see if I
can shoot the bloody thing.

On Sunday, October 26, 2003, at 11:27 PM, BASENJIS2FOR2@aol.com wrote:

> thank you all for the information but i really wanted to know how to
> make one but this will work and i want to be as real  as possible so
> ya no now day stuff even if it is more safe my Mom wont like that lol
> i will not tell her lol OK well just need to get some money to by a
> bow and arrows and have a compound bow and my dad lets me use his 45
> fiberglass bow to so i now a little about bow and what not so thanks
> for the information
> micah the happy one

--0-196805994-1067239651=:79083

<DIV>Hey guys... I'm new to the list, but I thought I would chime in. There is a fellow doing self-bows up here in VT and his prices are quite reasonable ( He will sell a roughed out bow, you do the sanding, for around 50$... I have friend who have been shooting them for years). I will have to ask a few folks how to get ahold of him, if you all are interested.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Robert<BR><BR><B><I>Wulfhere &lt;wulfhere@masspostroad.net&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Well bud, based on the Britons' response you will have to make your own <BR>bow or buy one and grind off the backing. I don't know of any bowyers <BR>in the states who will sell a wood bow without a stress cover on the <BR>back. If you really want to make one, get a book called "The <BR>Traditional Bowyers Bible Volume 1". It gives you all the basics. It'll <BR>also teach you how to match the arrows. That's very important. A <BR>longbow with arrows that are too stiff or to flexible will drive you <BR>nuts. I had to make a bunch of arrows of different spine (that's <BR>stiffness) and shoot them with no feathers. When they're wrong, they <BR>won't even stick in a target. When they are just right, you don't need <BR>the feathers. You can force a bend by using a heavier head or longer <BR>shaft. Wood longbows are inefficient. A #50 draw bow probably needs a <BR>#30 spine with a 100grain
 head about 3 inches longer than your draw <BR>length, which will be about 31" if your 6'2". I'm 5'7" and draw just <BR>28" but weigh 185lbs. I'm looking for a #100 plus bow just to see if I <BR>can shoot the bloody thing.<BR><BR><BR>On Sunday, October 26, 2003, at 11:27 PM, BASENJIS2FOR2@aol.com wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; thank you all for the information but i really wanted to know how to <BR>&gt; make one but this will work and i want to be as real&nbsp; as possible so <BR>&gt; ya no now day stuff even if it is more safe my Mom wont like that lol <BR>&gt; i will not tell her lol OK well just need to get some money to by a <BR>&gt; bow and arrows and have a compound bow and my dad lets me use his 45 <BR>&gt; fiberglass bow to so i now a little about bow and what not so thanks <BR>&gt; for the information<BR>&gt; micah the happy one<BR>&gt;<BR></BLOCKQUOTE><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
Exclusive Video Premiere - <a href="http://launch.yahoo.com/video/?1093432&fs=1&redirectURL=http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/">Britney Spears</a>
--0-196805994-1067239651=:79083--