[Regia-NA] viking bows

Wulfhere se Treowryhta list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:28:03 -0400

Hi Sleepy;

    Exactly what a 9th-10th century bow is can be a subject of
tremendous debate. There are actually  bows that date from earlier
periods and later. What you have to deduce from these examples are that
there are so few changes in european bow design from the 4th to 12th
century that you just need to focus on the basics. One piece of wood,
between 60 and 72 inches long with a working handle. If you want to buy
one I recommend;

http://www.woodbows.com/

   How big are you? If you've shot a compound bow, you will be surprised
by how hard it seems to pull a low weight longbow. That's because a
long bow is hardest to pull at full draw which is the weakest position.
A compound maxes out early in the draw and get's easier just at your
anchor point, when your ready to release. Stick to a #35-#40 for
starters. Small guys can shoot high weight bows (I'm small and shoot a
#65 and a #70) but it took time to get there. Be sure to use a shooting
glove on your hand and a bracer on your bow arm. Also, make sure you
get wooden arrows!! Aluminum, glass and graphite are made to resist
bending for high power center shot bows. A longbow arrow NEEDS to bend
around the handle to shoot straight. For arrows, try;

http://www.threeriversarchery.com/

   If you've never shot before, try to get the advice of an experienced
shooter before you go to far. Bad habits are very hard to correct. Do a
google search for "Maere Heath" and "Mary Rose".

   Forget making a bow. It's not as easy as you'd think.