[Regia-NA] help with hand stitching.

Carolyn Priest-Dorman list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:57:56 -0400

Chris wrote:

>  I have looked around online and it seems that flatfelled seams were used
> for undertunics and lighter materials, where as thicker wools were sewn
> with french seams.

The one example of something that's kind of like a "french seam" is a piece
from the crotch construction of a pair of trousers at Hedeby.  It's a
medium kind of wool cloth, not too thick and not too fine.  Although
similar because they hide seam allowance inside finished areas, none of the
Viborg seams is quite the same structurally as this "french seam."

>wouldent sewing a french seam be twice the sewing?

Yes, but it beats the heck out of blowing a seam out because it ravelled. ;>

>a woman selling material informed my friend who in turn informed me that
>during the early middle ages people did not hem the the edges of their
>garments....

Yeah, and they never washed and all the cloth was
burlap.  Uh-huh.  Suuuuuuure.... ;-P

Carolyn Priest-Dorman              Þóra Sharptooth
  http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html