[Regia-NA] help with hand stitching.

Jon Smith list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:11:09 +0100

Seams...

Linen and silk tend to use an enclosing seam like run and fell - where as
wool uses a weak seam that has (normally been hemmed along both edges first
(or subsequently)) - It's sometimes known as the Viborg stitch as an example
was found there that matched the stitchhole pattern they were finding on
other cloth fragments - there is an example below - but its not very clear.

I've got more info - but I've got to go to work - I'll try and sort it out
tonight - including some of the logic behind the choices which is down to
the difference between smooth fibres (linen) and rough fibres (wool).

All edges would be hemmed unless selve edges. If the wool had been fulled
and there are some examples hems would be less necessary - but even then
there are examples of decorative braid attached to the edge of the cloth.

This comes from the NFPS section on stitches which is a few years old - and
doesn't quite cover all types or which stitch for which cloth - but hope it
helps - and not really a french seam among them - although one of the
Haitahbu stitchs looks a bit like a french seam.

http://www.42nd-dimension.com/NFPS/nfps_stitches.html

Jon
---