[Regia-NA] help with hand stitching.

Chris Knight list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:24:28 -0700

  Hello all,

    I am planing on making three tunics, two in linen and one in wool.  the
linen ones will be based on a find thought to be from around 8th-10th
century Birka.  The wool one will be based on a find from 10th century
Hedeby.  I wish to entirely hand stitch all of them in linen and woolen
thread.

  I have looked around online and it seems that flatfelled seams were used
for undertunics and lighter materials, where as thicker wools were sewn with
french seams.  How does this idea sit with the more knowlegable folks out
there? and wouldent sewing a french seam be twice the sewing?

      One more thing ( im nearly too emberassed to ask)  at recent sca event
(this is not a bash at the sca!) a woman selling material informed my friend
who in turn informed me that during the early middle ages people did not hem
the the edges of their garments....I told him that it smelled like utter BS
to me,  Do any of you out there know if there is truth in this?

                     Thanks.

                 Chris Knight

Service.  Try it FREE for one month!   http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup