[Regia-NA] Sword steel

santell juan list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:38:19 -0700 (PDT)

Over here in the states the steel most often used for
springs is 5160. For swords it makes an excellent
blade but before you run out and get an old leaf
spring off of the chevy in the back lot you should
know that old car springs may have micro fractures
which would be very bad for a sword. It is best to get
it new. I've also seen 1085, 1095 and even O1 used for
swords. I have heard the some makers have been using
some of the air quenched alloys but have not seen an
actual blade. Here's a source for new blade material.

http://www.admiralsteel.com/products/blades.html