[Regia-NA] "Viking Age" Norwegian Saexs

Robert Woodman list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:06:58 +0000

>>ah, but when is Grettir's saga dated too, Bill?
>
>Again, I don't have references in front of me, but I'm pretty sure it takes
>place in the 10th century.

But when was it written?
most Sagas are from well after the viking age

>>but I am mostly looking for hard evidence, i.e. extant examples.
>
>I can't help there.  All the saxes I've examined closely predate the Viking
>age.

I think that is his point, most Viking reenactors carry them but there is no
real evidence that it was a common -or even uncommon-- Viking tool.

Send instant messages to anyone on your contact list with  MSN Messenger
6.0.  Try it now FREE!  http://msnmessenger-download.com