[Regia-NA] Regia Combat (was Greetings)

list-regia-na@lig.net list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 03:17:18 +0200 (CEST)

------=_Part_12484_17940695.1066094238169

Well, not really.  In Regia combat, the blow is generally pulled and we use blunted steel.   You are armored just the same as if you were in the Dark Ages.  For helmets, other than the authentic nasal, no grills or such, although some people do wear camails (or is that aventail?).  The only extra armoring that I know of is forearm protection (under tunic sleeves) and atheletic/box cups.  Head shots are illegal for regular combat and are only used in choreographed fighting...then it has to be approved ahead of time and will be between experienced warriors who are qualified in a weapon.  I'll withhold my comments about the wrap-around-the-head shot.  :o)
Bill

More seriously, did you swing steel or a wooden waster? I've noticed that
the SCA folk do a lot of the same backhanded, around the armor moves. I
haven't addressed SCA combat so I'm not sure if it's legal to knock an
opponent on his flanks but that's just what seems appropriate when someone
is off balance and reaching. So, what I'm gathering is that Regia combat is
a lot like SCA combat without all the protective gear. Do the helms have
face protection? If not, how do address head shots safely?