[Regia-NA] Greetings

list-regia-na@lig.net list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:57:18 +0200 (CEST)

------=_Part_6090_13178174.1065797838123

Brian,
Fighting in Regia has been my best experience in reenactment fighting.  It =
feels right, looks right, and we have done actual battles, like the Battle =
of Ringmere Pit, Hastings, etc.  I don't think I have ever been in a fight =
that I didn't enjoy, whether my side won or lost.  There is also, for me, a=
 joy that comes through with the fighting...the comraderie that I feel with=
 my shieldmates AND with the other side just can't be described.  I know th=
at the guy who I just speared will probably be exchanging a beer with me la=
ter that night.  That joy is also fuelled by the perspective of the doing/l=
ooking right.  I have never been the best warrior on the field by far, but =
I can say that I don't get discouraged just because I get killed.  For some=
time I had been burned out on SCA-style combat, but Regia revived that and =
I haven't looked back since (I've had to take a break for the last year due=
 to a herniated disc, but I'm dying to get back into a good scrap).  At fir=
st, I was a bit concerned over safety, having come from an SCA background..=
.and that was personal and for my opponent.  Having an open face helmet can=
 be a bit disconcerting at first, but you do get over that as you get more =
familiar with combat.  In my five years of fighting, I haven't had anything=
 more severe than bruises, and have only seen a few cuts on others.  On the=
 other side of safety, I worried that I was going to clean someone's clock =
having come from a 15-year SCA full-contact fighting training.  That too wa=
s overcome by just being aware of what was going on in front of you and eas=
ing back on the aggressiveness.  After you get certified to use the weapon,=
 you can bring back being aggressive as you get more experience.
I don't feel that I really have done justice to Regia combat.  There is an =
almost untangible, dare I say magical, aspect to it.  Maybe all these persp=
ectives have given you an answer.  Please ask for more clarification if nee=
d be.
Bill

Message date : Oct 10 2003, 06:54 AM=20