[Regia-NA] RE: o/t woozles (+ girdle hangers)

Nicholson, Andrew list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:07:26 +0100

> Subject: Re: o/t woozles - was RE: [Regia-NA] Sumptuary Laws
>=20
>=20
> As you know, Woozles have one leg longer than the other, and=20
> so could only frisk round in a circle. This would lessen the danger =
to=20
> assembled man and beast.
> Hazel
>=20
Oh, *English* Woozles...that's not too bad then :)

I thought you were talking about the feral sort that hunt haggis in the
Highlands.

>I stumbled across these items, described as "Anglo-Saxon=20
>girdle hangers". (Stumbled, but didn't fall.) Is that what=20
>they actually are? and how would they work?=20

They're named *girdle hangers* because they're usually found in a grave =
in a
position which indicates that they were hung from a belt - nothing to =
do
with their function.Lots of informed conjecture as to function, but no
definitive answer.

Gu=F0rum
who's just been out this morning to look at a newly discovered =
cross-head.
Cross on either face, and a "Celtic" head on each side, most odd.