[Regia-NA] MR Viking Sword Video Question

list-regia-na@lig.net list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 03:23:04 +0100 (CET)

------=_Part_21035_8255364.1069726984817

I know someone else did a posting, but I thought I might put up my opinion.  I thought it was mainly tripe.  Certainly it was MR trying to showcase their products, but a lot of the info I thought was ridiculous...like using the point of a kite shield to stab an opponent in the foot.  I was equally unimpressed with the cutting demo on the hunk of meat.  It didn't prove much...you had Mr. Reinhardt using the full force of his arm (even leaving the ground at times to put so much power into the blow) against a piece of meat sitting on a solid chunk of wood which didn't allow for give.  The round shields with arm straps were ridiculous as something like that will change how the shield is employed.  And I could nitpick the details...no pants on one warrior, no shield bosses on the kites (now, I could be wrong about that detail myself, but I thought that was a later styling), but it would be best not too.
Overall, there are a couple of nuggets...like the leg being a very viable and used blow.  But in terms of relation to real combat, I don't think there was any real information.  And in realtion to recreation steel combat, it was practically useless.

Bill

Message date : Nov 15 2003, 10:35 PM