[Regia-NA] Re: [RANA-Members] Rolland's Letter to the North American's Part 2

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:15:24 -0500

>>From Roland:
>
> I spent a fair bit of time looking at the traders to
> see what was readily at hand. In doing so I collected
> some business cards which dont recommend the trader in
> any way other than as a source, but just indicates that
> they had this item to hand. My comments are my own and
> are no way a condemnation. It goes without saying that
> in most cases they had other materials to hand as well
> that fell out of my area of expertise.
>
> Thor Thors Hammer.

ThorThor McSmyth is his SCA name.

> Sean Chappell. NC 27525 ( 919 ) 528-2966.

4022 Hwy. 56, Franklinton, NC 27525;  H. 919-528-2966

> thorthor@mindspring.com

Had this email address for years now.

> This chap is in the early stages of making some really
> nice silver and brass/bronze hand wrought and hand made
> jewellery, with the odd cast piece. In my opinion he
> needs patronising and encouraging with some commissions
> from documented finds.

Sean is local to me and I've known him about fifteen years.
He's half Chinese / half white american and looks a lot
like a tall Mongolian usually with thick long black hair.
He is a neat guy and an interesting fellow to be around.

Do not underestimate the skill or knowledge of this individual.
His background in metalwork goes back some ways.

He has many expensive research books in great amount
(as do I but possibly a few different ones) on metalworking
and brooches from the Bronze Age foreward.
At the last Pennsic he told me he bought $1500 worth of books
and just got the whole series on Illerup Adal on the tremendous
bog deposit of circa 4th century weapons, armor, shields there.
This amount of purchases is not unusual for him at all.
I am often astounded at how he changes his posessions in one
lot for another to pursue new interests.
We compare notes and books. He buys a lot and tries to make
nearly everything that interests him. I've bought some rare
books for him at times.

The man has very advanced skills in hammering out brass or
bronze into brooches. So far he hasn't done much in engraving.
You probably haven't seen his whole range over time, nor
have I, but it was fairly impressive at times. What he takes
to Pennsic is what he thinks will sell there.

He's moved some distance from me so I haven't seen his
recent house/shop but from our discussions I believe he is
pretty well outfitted for most types. He does faceting
of gems but I think is relatively new to lapidary on
the whole and is exploring further into enamels and inlay.

He has some background in blacksmithing techniques and
was a member for a while at least with the NC chapter
of ABANA.org .

He can do forged ended silver twisted and entwined bracelets
or torques for example. He has one trick that involves
forging square, twisting, and reforging and twisting
that amazes me. The effect on the surface of the metal
is a bit amazing. I think recently he has attempted making
one of the irish torques originally done in gold with the
twisted + cross section.

I wish I knew a few more of the specialized tricks he's learned
and I keep meaning to get over there to watch him some time.
I believe right now he may be working two jobs. Spends a
lot of time doing deliveries and working at his families
Chinese restaurant.

He's always been a good and reliable friend to us.
I commend him to you.

Magnus